Quotations about Crying

The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep.  ~Henry Maudsley


When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~Kahlil Gibran


Let your tears come.  Let them water your soul.  ~Eileen Mayhew


Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion.  I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.  ~Kurt Vonnegut


Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.  ~Charles Dickens, Great Expectations, 1860


The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.  ~John Vance Cheney


Tearless grief bleeds inwardly.  ~Christian Nevell Bovee


Time engraves our faces with all the tears we have not shed.  ~Natalie Clifford Barney


Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.  ~Antoine Rivarol


Let your tears flow and where they go, let your sorrows follow.  ~Dodinsky,


A woman wears her tears like jewelry.  ~Author Unknown


Tears of joy are like the summer rain drops pierced by sunbeams.  ~Hosea Ballou


To weep is to make less the depth of grief.  ~William Shakespeare, King Henry the Sixth


It is some relief to weep; grief is satisfied and carried off by tears.  ~Ovid


Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either.  ~Golda Meir


Tears are the safety valve of the heart when too much pressure is laid on it.  ~Albert Smith


Tears are God’s gift to us.  Our holy water.  They heal us as they flow.  ~Rita Schiano, Sweet Bitter Love, 1997, published by The Reed Edwards Company


Every woman is wrong until she cries, and then she is right - instantly.  ~Sam Slick (Thomas Chandler Haliburton)


Women are never landlocked:  they're always mere minutes away from the briny deep of tears.  ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966


Tears are Summer showers to the soul.  ~Alfred Austin, Savonarola


Lips that taste of tears, they say,
Are the best for kissing.
~Dorothy Parker


Tears are the silent language of grief.  ~Voltaire, A Philosophical Dictionary


Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.  ~Robert Harling, Steel Magnolias


What soap is for the body, tears are for the soul.  ~Jewish Proverb


I heard the teardrop hit my pillow before I even knew I was crying.  ~Terri Guillemets


Every tear should live its purpose.  Don't ever wipe the reason away.  ~Jessica Simpson (2009 tweet)


I didn't want my picture taken because I was going to cry.  I didn't know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I'd cry for a week.  I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.  ~Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar


The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.  ~Isak Dinesen


Unless you have been very, very lucky, you have undoubtedly experienced events in your life that have made you cry.  So unless you have been very, very lucky, you know that a good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have not changed one bit.  ~Lemony Snicket


More grievous than tears is the sight of them.  ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin


I often want to cry.  That is the only advantage women have over men - at least they can cry.  ~Jean Rhys


It is such a secret place, the land of tears.  ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment